Here is everything you need to know about the Mumbai Grahak Panchayat and its role in consumer rights protection
To help consumers make informed decisions and to make them aware of their rights and responsibilities, the Mumbai Grahak Panchayat (MGP) was established in 1975. Now, it has become one of India’s largest voluntary organizations, with over 33,000 volunteers. The MGP has been involved in the public distribution of goods and consumer rights activism. It also comes out with a monthly magazine for its members, which is mostly based on consumer rights and awareness.
Mumbai Grahak Panchayat: Popular movements
The MGP has been an active voluntary organization, fighting for consumer rights. Here are some of the popular movements of the MGP:
- Refund to airline passengers: The MGP, along with the Pravasi Legal Cell, filed a petition in the Supreme Court for a refund of airfare to the passengers, whose flights were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Supreme Court ordered a full refund or provision of a ‘credit shell’ of an amount equal to the fare collected.
- Refund to 800 home buyers, after 34 years: The MGP fought a legal battle on behalf of home buyers, against the developer of an affordable housing scheme in Virar, where the project was left incomplete, forcing the purchasers to approach the consumer court, represented by the MGP.
- Ad withdrawal by a water purifier company: One of the popular water purifier companies had to withdraw an allegedly misleading ad, which claimed that its purifier systems disinfected the COVID-19 virus from personal use items such as fruits and vegetables.
How to register a complaint on MGP
If you are a home buyer or a consumer, you can submit your complaint to the MGP by following this procedure:
Step 1: Visit the MGP official website.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Complaints’ option on the top menu.
Step 3: Submit your name, email address, complaint title, and details.
Step 4: Click the ‘Submit Now’. You will get a status update on your email ID.
How to become a member of Mumbai Grahak Panchayat
The Mumbai Grahak Panchayat offers membership to anyone above 18 years of age. To become a member, follow the procedure given below:
Step 1: Visit the Mumbai Grahak Panchayat new website (click here).
Step 2: Click on ‘Become a Member from the top menu.
Step 3: Mention all the details as required, such as name, mobile number, email, photo, address and upload your identity proof.
Step 4: Click ‘Apply Now. Your application will be submitted, which will be reviewed and approved accordingly.
How to contact Mumbai Grahak Panchayat
If you want to get in touch with the Mumbai Grahak Panchayat, you can contact the organization at the following contact number:
- Phone: 022-26281839/26209319
- Email: Mpanchayat@gmail.com
- Address: Grahak Bhavan, Sant Dnyaneshwar Marg, Behind Cooper Hospital, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai 400 056.