Vastu for rental homes
“One of the main difficulties of living in a rented flat or apartment is that you cannot make a lot of changes in the flat, without taking the prior approval of the owner. If a house is made by keeping Vastu principles in mind, then, the people living in such flats will not face any difficulties,” says Ateet Vengurlekar, principal architect and interior designer of Blue Arch.
Vastu tips for tenants
Vikash Sethi, CEO, and founder, A2ZVastu.com explains: “While opting for a rental home, we suggest a few points that should be kept in mind:
- Vastu in the rented house works for the space that has been occupied by the tenant.
- The direction of the house or the ‘facing’ of the house, is the direction you face while coming out of the house.
- The direction of the main entrance as per Vastu is the most important aspect while taking a rental home. The best entry is north-east, followed by north-west, east. North and west-facing homes are also considered good.
- Avoid homes with south, south-east, and south-west entries.
- The kitchen should be in the southeast or northwest.
- The master bedroom should be in the southwest.
- There should be no kitchen, toilets, or shoe racks in the northeast.
- The shape of the house should be square or rectangular and there should not be any cut or extension in any direction.
- Avoid homes having a balcony in the southwest direction.
- If it is a duplex home, then, avoid staircases in the northeast direction.”
Vastu points to check, in rented homes
History of the property
Most people believe that it is mandatory to check the history of the property if you want to enjoy good mental health. Any unnatural misfortune or turn of events is considered bad for prospective tenants.
A well-lit and properly ventilated property is always good. These ensure the proper flow of energy into your house.
The vibe of the property
Check the vibe of the property. There are both, positive and negative, vibes in a home and small modifications can help restore the positivity in the property. The vibe of the property is ascertained by how the residents feel when they live on the premises. Sometimes, you may feel negative, simply by living in a particular property.
Homes near high-traffic areas, or near a graveyard, or a power plant, or electric poles, are not good. While urban areas are often saturated and you may not have much of a chance to live in a calm residential area, look for a peaceful, positive environment around your rented flat.
Do not rent a house that has any mobile or electric poles nearby. It blocks the free flow of energy. To remove negative energy, perform a Yagya, Ganesh pooja, Navagraha Pooja, etc. Use wall hangings that emit positive energy like wind chimes, crystals, yantras, etc., suggested by a knowledgeable Vastu expert.
The main door of a rented house should not be blocked by any tree, electric pole, or any other heavy obstruction. Also, the door should be in a favorable position as per Vastu.
Minor position changes
Ensure that the rule of directions as per Vastu is adhered to, even in your rented home. You can make minor tweaks in your sleeping position and placement of furniture, even if you cannot make structural changes in your rented home.
Placement of doors
All the doors in a home should open inward as this attracts positive energy. Also, while inspecting the property, check all the doors to ensure that they open in the right direction. Make sure you oil the hinges before moving in, so that they do not creak and get any damages on the door repaired immediately, before moving in.
|Item||Where to place||Effect of Vastu compliance|
|Heavy items||West or south||Maintains financial strength|
|Puja room||North-east||Worry-free life|
|Master bedroom||South or west||Good health, happy life for self and family|
|Dressing table||East or north||Avoids Vastu dosha|
|Windows in the south-west direction||Keep them closed||Ensures mental peace, good health, and financial soundness|
|Cooktop (in case of a single room)||South-east||Status and wealth|
|Valuables including jewelry, ATM cards, passports||South-west||Prosperity|
Rented home and the main door
It is generally believed that as per Vastu, a rented house with the main door towards the south-east is not good. It is better not to opt for such homes in the first place.
A rental home having a northeast or east door is considered auspicious. If you are planning to live in this property for a long tenure, notice the elevation or depression on the east side. If the east side is more elevated, it is not good for the head of the family.
The shift from the house, if you notice these Vastu doshas
If you are someone just about to move into a new rented property, you should particularly take note of this and avoid having to shift soon after. We list some cases where you may not be able to rectify the Vastu doshas as a tenant and should, preferably, consider moving out.
- If you see that the north and east direction is closed or too packed, consider moving out.
- If you notice that the northeast part of the property is not of even height.
- If the west part is too open, consider a change soon.
- If there is a water tank, a hole, a basement, or even a well in the west zone.
- If the north-east or south-west part is damaged and broken.
Simple Vastu tips to ensure a peaceful rental home
You can try some very cost-effective tips to ensure that your rented property is harmonious and peaceful for your family.
- Fresh air and sunlight make the home positive. So, keep the windows open for some time in the morning.
- Regularly mop the floor with salt water, to cleanse it.
- Ensure that the rooms do not have any foul odor. Incense, essential oils, or even dhoop will help.
- Chants or good, calm music will create a peaceful ambiance.
- Grow plants or place flowers in your home.
- Keep pleasant pictures only and avoid paintings that appear confusing.
- A clutter-free home will attract positive energy. From time to time, ensure that there are no cobwebs.
- Ensure that the clocks are always in working condition.
- Ensure that there is no leakage from taps, pipes, and faucets in the home. Dripping of water is not considered auspicious, even in a rented house.
- Keep the corners of your home clean and well-illuminated for positive energy throughout your home.
- Keep the bathroom doors closed when not in use, to avoid negative energy.
- Do not keep medicines in the kitchen.
- Do not keep shoes in front of the main door, as it is the entry point for positive energy.
- According to Vastu Shastra, to attract good energies and prosperity, always keep a bowl of fruits, fresh flowers, dry fruits, or a jug of water on the dining table, so that the dining table is never empty.
How to correct Vastu dosh without structural changes?
You can consider doing the following Vedic upay (solutions):
- Perform a Ganesh pooja, Navagrah Shanti, and Vastu purush pooja.
- Consider keeping the idol of the Vastu purush, the snake made of silver, copper wire, pearl, and power. All these items should be put in red cloth with red earth and kept in the east direction.
- Also make it a daily practice to worship at the entrance of the house, which should be adorned with Swastik and Shubh-Labh symbols with rice and kumkum.
- Navachandi Yagya, Shanti path, or agnihotra Yagya may bring the peace you require in a rental home.
- Keeping a photograph of Ganapati will also help.
- Pitrushanti, pindadan, nagabali, Narayan Bali are advisable, if the southwest is cut or if there is any kind of negative energy or unease in the family.
- When entering the home through the main entrance, the first thing that you see should not be a blank wall. To correct this, hang a Ganesha painting or a Shri Yantra symbol. This will correct the energy flow in the entrance corridor.
- Keep camphor crystals in different areas of the house as it is a Vastu dosh remedy. Regularly replace them as they evaporate.
- Place heavy furniture, such as beds and large cupboards, in the southwest direction of the home. Do not place the bed under a beam. Also, the dining table should not face the main door of your house.
Who is affected by Vastu: Tenants or the owner?
Another common query, pertains to who would be affected by Vastu defects – whether it would be the owner or the tenant. Experts have a difference of opinion in this subject. Some Vastu experts believe that the actual user is more affected due to non-compliance of Vastu, although the owner also suffers to a certain extent. Others believe that the good or bad effects of Vastu will only affect the persons who are staying in that house, irrespective of whether the house is rented, or occupied by the owners, or is in the name of somebody else. If the house owner leaves his own house and shifts to another house, then, the Vastu of his own house will not affect him. Either way, as a tenant, experts maintain that it is better to adhere to Vastu norms before you shift into a home, because it would impact you accordingly.
How to remove negative energies from a rental home?
Frequent quarrels, loss of opportunities, repeated failures, death, and ill health for prolonged periods, can all be signs of negative energy within the house. While medical help can come as a cure, even your abode should be rid of severe Vastu doshas. After you do so, ensure that your house is clean and uncluttered. Additionally, remove all unused, damaged, broken items/objects strewn around that add negative and stagnant energies into your home.
Vastu for rented home: How to attract positivity
- Install a mini-fountain in the courtyard in the northeast direction of the house as it symbolizes the flow of positive energy, power, and prosperity.
- Light a Diya every evening, near a tulsi plant or a pot of clean water. This will help to keep away negative energy from the home.
- As soon as you move to your new home, make sure you set the pooja corner first and then do the rest of the settings. This pooja corner can even be a small shelf or a built-in cabinet.
- Keep a pair of elephant statues with their trunks raised above at the main entrance of the rented house. This will help to bring happiness and good luck.
- Peacock feather is said to remove negative energies or Vastu dosh in the house. Keep some peacock feathers at the entrance of your house.
- Keep the broom out of sight in the kitchen.
- Hang a wind chime with six or eight rods at the entrance of the home. This removes Vastu dosha even in a rented house and brings good fortune and peace.