Just another WordPress site

Two lakh people displaced, due to floods in western Maharashtra

94 0

Over two lakh people have been displaced due to floods in five districts of western Maharashtra, while 27 people have lost their lives in these regions in rain-related incidents over the past few days, officials have said

Over two lakh persons have been evacuated to safer places, due to the floods that have wreaked havoc in five districts of western Maharashtra, the worst-hit being the districts of Sangli and Kolhapur, as of August 8, 2019. At least nine people drowned in Sangli district when a rescue boat capsized. The region is being pounded by rains incessantly over the last few days. The total number of deaths due to rain or flood-related incidents in the five districts of the region, during this period, was 27, officials said.

The flood-hit districts, especially Sangli and Kolhapur, are staring at the challenge of repairing damaged houses, roads and restoring water and electricity supply. Divisional commissioner Deepak Mhaisekar said that a total of 2,05,591 people have been shifted, in the districts of Sangli, Kolhapur, Solapur, Pune, and Satara. In Kolhapur, 97,102 persons have been shifted, followed 80,319 in Sangli.

The Mumbai-Bengaluru National Highway, which passes through Kolhapur, has also been closed for traffic. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis spoke to his Karnataka counterpart BS Yediyurappa, who agreed to release five lakh cusec water from Almatti dam in Karnataka, which would ease the flooding in Maharashtra. Officials added that rescue teams including those of the NDRF, Navy, Coast Guard, and Army, were operating in Sangli and Kolhapur.

Kalyan-Badlapur floods: Maharashtra CM assures compensation for damaged houses

The Maharashtra government has said that it will provide adequate compensation to the people from Kalyan and Badlapur towns, whose houses were damaged in the rains and flood in July 2019

July 30, 2019: The Maharashtra government will provide adequate compensation to the people from Kalyan and Badlapur towns, whose houses were damaged in July 26-27, 2019, rain and flood, chief minister Devendra Fadnavis said, on July 29, 2019. The government will undertake a survey of the damage caused to the houses and give adequate compensation to the affected people in these towns, he said at a function in Murbad. Heavy rains on July 26-27, 2019, had caused flooding and wreaked havoc in Kalyan and Badlapur towns of Thane district.

Fadnavis said, if needed, the government would take a decision on compensation, keeping in mind the new norms. He said the last week’s flood caused a lot of damage. Since 2005, a compensation of Rs 5,000 was being given for each dwelling damaged in floods or rains, Fadnavis said. He said the government will definitely consider giving substantial compensation for the damage. In addition, funds will be made available, for the repair of roads damaged in the flood in Kalyan and Badlapur, the CM said. Fadnavis also announced that the government would soon make available to the center, its share of 50% of the cost of the proposed Kalyan-Murbad railway line.

Source : https://housing.com/news/kalyan-badlapur-floods-maharashtra-cm-assures-compensation-for-damaged-houses/

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.